Why is healthy breakfast important?
Breakfast can give a day so fantastic start! I am convinced that breakfast is the most important meal of the day! If you eat healthy breakfast (=FULFULLING in every way), then it is soooo much easier to continue being healthy throughout the day!
Additionally, Eating a healthy breakfast will give you a lot of energy, so that you can be the best in everything you do. Make it the strongest meal of the day – eat breakfast big and other meals will be smaller without you regulating it.
What is a healthy breakfast?
A Healthy breakfast is first meal of the day that should contain simple and pure foods, that are all natural. For example, a big pile of vegetables… a smoothie from fresh fruits and vegetables… a whole grain porridge…
…basically, all the foods that have been made from whole ingredients and without processed ingredients. 🙂
Healthy breakfast should be fulfilling in every way – what do I mean by that?
I mean that you won’t have sugar cravings and hunger before lunch 🙂 In my experience, it is quite easy to find breakfast that keeps hunger away, but it is much harder to find breakfast that keeps cravings away.
So most important things to make breakfast healthy are:
- Fulfilling – that’s why I love eggs
- Keeps food / sugar-cravings away
- Feeling that you have eaten – it’s important that your brain recognizes that you have eaten breakfast.
…because when it does not you will be hungrier much earlier. And that before the real time you actually would, when acknowledging that you had your breakfast!
- Set the mind to success – eat breakfast healthy and get on the healthy track with the first meal of the day!
- Drink green tea instead of coffee – too much coffee is not good 🙂
Green Tea helps to burn fat, which is a nice kick start to your organism. Plus green tea has also caffeine, in other words it has similar effect to what coffee does.
What it should contain?
After all, breakfast can’t be healthy when ingredients are unhealthy. Here are some ingredients that make breakfast healthy. Use this list creatively! You can always add real veggies and fruits. So here’s the list:
- Eggs 🙂 – I love eggs!!! Let me explain! I don’t love the taste, but I love how energized and fulfilled I feel after eating them. For some time now I have thought about being a vegan, but I haven’t found alternative that would make me feel so great with so little calories, like eggs do :)What foods do you love like that? Let me know in the comments below!
- Tuna, Chicken, Turkey – If you are a meat eater then these three are amazingly fulfilling while being low in calories.
- Wholefood – By definition, “Food that has been processed or refined as little as possible and is free from additives or other artificial substances.” Both processing and additives, artifical sweetener lower the foods’ nutritional value and lower fulfillment you will feel after eating it! That’s why I really suggest that you eat wholefood.
- Rich in Protein and fiber – Fresh fruits/ fresh vegetables are always a secure choice 😀
All those suggestions above come from one purpose – to make breakfast as fulfilling as possible!
What it should NOT contain?
As said above, ingredients are very important! Therefore, I believe it is very useful to know what ingredients not to eat! So here’s my list:
- Artificial flavors – burgers, pizzas, strong and unnatural tastes, too salty. Artificial flavors because they will make you crave more and more food and more and more flavors! This I say mostly because I have tested on me what keeps me full and what makes me crave foods. Test it out, it really works!!!
- High carb foods – A breakfast shouldn’t contain foods that are high in carbohydrates: sugars and wheat (bread, pasta, pastry). Reason being, sugar and high carb foods again make you crave more food, especially sugary ones!Note: if you feel good on high carb wholefood diet, and especially when you do hard physical work/ exercise a lot then high carb diet is very OK.
- Processed foods – usually they are high in sugars and unhealthy fats. These two ingredients, especially together, are the reason I have said so many times – these foods are not fulfilling and not valuable. Always Avoid when possible!
How To Measure Healthiness?
I measure the healthiness of the breakfast by the energy and strength it gives me, and that stays throughout the day. Also, as said before, healthiness comes also from fulfillment. If a meal consists of ingredients that are healthy, but I start to crave snack or feel hungry to soon then in my opinion this meal is not Healthy Breakfast!
For example, if I eat only fruits for breakfast, I don’t feel as fulfilled, as I do when I eat only vegetables. Additionally, when I eat fruits in smoothie or with some high protein food, I feel very fulfilled.
So two things that I measure healthiness are: wholefood ingredients and fulfillment!
Bulletproof examples – these are healthy for sure! 🙂
Vegetables and Protein – Green beans and chicken, Frozen vegemix fried in little olive oil with beans/ cheese/ nuts/ tofu or hummus for extra protein.
A Smoothie – Here are three steps to c
- Unflavored yogurt / Water / Green tea (refrigerated) – choose one base of your smoothie.
- Avocado, celery, spinach, carrot – I strongly suggest you use at least one in every smoothie. If possible, then all!
- Banana, Apple, Berries (straw-, rasp-, blueberries are the best) – choose one or more from this list to give your smoothie nice sweet taste.
- Peanut or Almond butter (high in protein and healthy fats) – one spoon in every smoothie will make it healthier.
Oatmeal Porridge – Its very fulfilling and when made with honey or some other natural sweetener then low in sugars! Additionally, I always add some berries or eat a fruit with my porridge to make it even healthier.
Self-made Chia Seed Pudding with Fresh fruits – A great breakfast in my opinion. As a bonus, you can make it in advance – so really tasty to-go breakfast.
Healthy Breakfast is first meal of the day that is fulfilling and that is made from healthy ingredients.